Sustainability WA

What type of do I need?

The most commonly requested bushfire report is the Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment. While this is where we, as bushfire consultants will start, it is not always the end. It is important to know, before the process starts, what level of bushfire consultation will be required so that you can understand:

a. The costs involved;

b. the time frame;

c. if there will be any compliance issues; and

d. what council will expect from you.

It is painful when you think you have all the documentation ready, submit it to council, and find that there is something missing and the process has to start all over again. Or worse, you find out your project can’t meet the bushfire regulations at all.

That is where Sustainability WA and Bushfire Smart can help. Making sure your project stays on track no matter what report is required. Some of the common bushfire reports we can take care of are:

A Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment is a means of measuring the severity of a buildings potential exposure to ember attack, radiant heat and direct flame contact in a bushfire event, and thereby determining the construction measures required for the dwelling.

The BAL assessment takes into account several factors including the Fire Danger Index, the slope of the land, types of vegetation and how close it is to the proposed building.

A Bushfire Management Plan (BMP) is a plan which identifies the extent of the bushfire hazard to a development. A BMP sets out short, medium and long term bushfire risk management strategies for a particular area.

This Bushfire Management Plan is used to support planning proposals and development applications in bushfire prone areas. It considers things such as fire breaks, fire fighting water supply, fire fighting access, easements and ongoing risk management responsibilities.

The intent of a Bushfire Evacuation Plan is to provide strategic guidance to the owners and occupants of the subject property to assist with preparation for a future bushfire event; and provide guidance in the event of a bushfire threatening the property.

It is a document specifically designed for vulnerable persons who do not have the experience to accurately determine the potential risk of a bushfire and what actions to take in the event of a bushfire. Therefore, it is not a technical document and emphasis is placed on the safety of lives rather than preservation of property.

We will look at your project and let you know what bushfire reports will be required, costings, and time frames. We will also tell you if we see any difficulties with complying right at the start. Helping minimise the uncertainty of your projects compliance.

Want to know what report you are likely to need? We have created a chat bot which should be popping up at the bottom right of the screen. It will ask you a few simple questions and tell you what bushfire report you will require.

Of course if you would like to talk to us direct, we would be more than happy to take your call, or receive your email.

You can also send us your plans and we will get back to you with feedback, absolutely free!

Keen to learn more??

Do I Need a BAL?

Do I Need a Assessment? A Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment is a means of measuring the severity of a building’s potential exposure to the 

Read More »